Bioshock Infinite Review - I thought I hated this game!

BioShock Infinite is one of those games which does pretty much all of its storytelling right at the end.

Its ending will divide opinions but I loved it and that annoys me. For most of the game I was underwhelmed. The gameplay was severely lacking and not only a step back from the original Bioshock but also inferior to most of its peers. 

Everyone who played the game on PC, pressed F12 at this exact moment.
The story too, while covering controversial themes like religious bigotry and racism, was solid and stunningly presented but just not enough to hide glaring gameplay deficits. As the game progresses, new elements are added to the story which, one their own, might as well be a separate story. However, everything links together in the end, creating a congruent and thought provoking plot. 

It's evident that BioShock Infinite was a lovingly crafted and deliberate endeavour with nothing there by chance. As a game, Infinite is almost a complete failure but as an experience - it's worth experiencing.

Pros

Gorgeous visual style
Inspired music choices
Great story (in the end)

Cons

Bland gameplay

Rating: 85%

Notes

I began writing this review shortly after starting the game and at that point, the review was completely different. I was quite disappointed with the lacklustre gameplay which is basically an FPS with Vigors (i.e. plasmids) to augment the shooting. I still think that the gameplay is lacking but Infinte is one of those games which can get away with it thanks to everything else being good. I decided to create this mini-review as an overview of the experience rather than an in depth game review. Not something I'd normally do but Bioshock Infinite is a special case.

No comments:

Post a Comment